Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dreaming versus Reality....

Well after some re evaluating of life in general I decided the dream of getting a yearling is probably not in my reality right now. I am currently working really hard on Harley and reining and getting ready to start showing and trail riding pretty heavy. Plus there is the ole list of wants and needs around here banging on my door. I need to replace all the fence posts this year before winter. The quickie job I did to get the horses here when I moved in 3 years ago have started to rot and snap. I need to build a new run in shed before winter as the old barn I used for one just caved in last week. So sad to see a hundred year old barn fall......

The wants (besides the filly) are an arena to ride in, even an open square sand pit would be an improvement. to get the barn filled with lime again and mats for Tanks stall. Hmmmn... guess I need to shelve the idea of the yearling for this year and be thankful for the things I have and the stuff I am accomplishing.

I had another lesson today and am proud to tell you I fenced without intrepidation today and even managed to do a sliding stop. I worked on rollbacks and let me tell you there is a whole lot of finesse that goes into doing pretty rollbacks. My spins are going great and I am managing to make circles now instead of ugly egg or unidentifiable shapes when loping. He made me do the dang counter canter exercise again and change leads about a million times. Boy is that uncomfortable on the back.
I think I will head for bubble ville in a few moments to soak away my aches. Wish I could head to Margaritta ville but my Florida girl's trip was called off. I am now focusing on the show which is exactly a month away....... I think I may take a trip over Memorial day weekend with the family camping with the ponies. Maybe Deam Lake again, it is close and uncrowded. I am off to the bath now for that much needed soak.
Happy trails....

3 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Boy! That was quick. You made up your mind about a yearling in 24 hours. Wish I could make up my mind that fast. I'm still debating about breeding to the reining horse and I've even paid for that breeding already. I need to get oof my _ _ _ and go for it if I'm ever going to have my own Harley! lol

Sounds like your riding is coming right along. Good for you. I am so jealous.

Pony Girl said...

AH yes, old reality always jumps up and bites us in our tooty-tas, doesn't it? Sounds like you have a lot of great projects to work on though! It is never-ending with horses, it seems. For us, it's leveling the arena and getting new footing (and picking rocks until then), a run-in shed for My Boy, new drainage system in the north pasture, scrub out the troughs, fix the fence near the gate, a new mat in the grooming area...wait, do I even have time to have a horse?? ;)
Glad to hear about the reining lessons!!

Kathy C said...

I've had to make some hard choices this week as well. Dreams can come true, but at times we need to reevaluate the trip that takes us to our dream eh?

Your lessons sound so awesome. My girls have been working on roll backs with their barrel horses to get them to get under themselves. I know what a good roll back looks and feels like, but like you said, it's a game of finese.