Thursday, January 24, 2008

Winter Wounds

As you know, I was away for a few days last weekend and discovered a few days ago Tank had cut himself while I was away. The wound is located under his jaw, it is a good one. I have no idea how he managed it of course, my place is about as horse proof as you could get. Somehow he managed to cut himself from where the curb chain would be up six inches and about an inch deep. It was well disguised by his winter woollies, the stench gave it away. I tried clipping the area to get a better view of what was going on, but with so much drainage and dried blood and the brutal cold my clippers were useless. After nearly freezing my fingers off, I did manage to clean the wound with warm salt water and determined it was too late for stitches. A call to the vet and lengthy discussions about it determined we will continue my flushing the wound and see how it progresses. On the bright side he seems to be unaffected by it and is eating and drinking well. Yet another reason I despise winter.
Happy trails........

1 comment:

Callie said...

Hope Tank gets better soon, sory to hear...