Tuesday, March 4, 2008

thoughts running amuck

So last night, well actually early this morning around the tune of 2:30 am I couldn't get back to sleep after being awoken by my wee one for the umpteenth time I found my head filled with random thoughts. I should have just gotten up and started typing but instead laid there thinking all this stuff over and around. Some of the things I was pondering were small in the scheme of things and others had more merit to them. The first one is a bigger one that is evidently on my mind more than once a day. As the day nears for Harley to go off to the trainer's barn, I am nervous about it. I have never relinquished my horse to anyone for training and although I have ridden with them for over a year and trust them I still find myself worrying about it. OK, worrying is a strong word to use maybe concerned is a better choice. The thing that concerns me most is that Harley won't be getting time outside in a paddock to play. I usually keep my horses out as much as possible and let them be horses.
Harley enjoys his days outside playing and creating havoc on Tank. I know he is going to be ridden 5-6 days a week and harder than I usually ride him so exercise is not my concern. I just think he may be bored the rest of the time cooped up in a stall not seeing the outside world. The facility is all enclosed in an indoor barn and arena. I am sure he will survive and I plan on visiting him as much as I can although I am banned from riding him for two weeks in the beginning I can take him out for walks weather permitting. Well enough on that, speaking of weather I am back to the crud of 32 and rain/snizzle today so that brings me to my next thought. I am considering getting a different horse trailer and it seems one that may do is at a lot just up the road from me so..........
what better thing to do on a cruddy day than go shopping! So I am off to horse trailer shop today.
Happy Trails...

3 comments:

Kathy C said...

I felt the same way when we took Gunner in for training. He had spent most of his life living with other horses and playing with them. When we unloaded him into his stall I told the trainer that outside boarding was prefered, and the very next day he was outside.

I bet you are going to miss him those first two weeks.

Congrats at being back to work!

Mrs. Mom said...

Hang in there TRC-- your baby will be fine I am sure. ;) He will tell you if he isnt too, and you will know then to bring his handsome hiney back home.

So how did the traielr shopping go? hehe

Victoria Cummings said...

I totally understand how you are feeling. When Siete went into training, it only took one day for me to lock horns with the trainer. Just remember that you are Harley's advocate - His trust in you is so important. If you feel something isn't the way you'd like it to be, please speak up. You're paying them a lot of money, so they need to listen to you about how you want your horse to be treated. I fought the "no turn-out" battle and I won. Horses need some time off to kick up their heels, just like we do.