Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hello from Kentucky

Hi all, again a prolonged absence and I apologize!!

Been working full time and doing show secretary stuff for seven weekends straight.....whew! Happy to tell you that all that extra cash is being well spent!

Frank is at a new trainer now!! He has been there two weeks and is doing well... so awesome it is beyond words!! The best part is that the trainer and barn are just twenty minutes from my house! Here is where we ARE. I have known this trainer Jed for about six years now and really, really like him. I had made plans to send my former horse Harley to him when he got hired on to Shaun Flarida's place in Ohio.

I get to see Frank several times a week and am going to start my lessons on him next week! I went to see him Friday night and could not believe the progress he has made so quickly. His stops are incredible!

I guess you can tell I am rather excited about our new adventure and can't wait to get showing again. I had planned on taking him to the ARHA world show next week but it seems Frank has contracted a rain rot/ fungus thing probably from the previous place I was keeping him. He has lost lots of hair around his fetlocks and I am sure the humidity here and the fact that he must wear boots when ridden are not helping. I think I have it on the run now, been scrubbing him with Iodine shampoo and treating with a tea tree oil. He has lots of new hairs popping back in but I cannot possibly take him anywhere looking like he does.

I will try to get some new pictures to post for you of him working and maybe some of our hairless fetlocks! Ha.

Happy trails......

4 comments:

twhlady said...

Bleach works quicker. In the deep south we get it bad. Our vets recommend it, one treatment, spray it on leave it 20 minutes and rinse it off. Rain rot clears right up. Anywhere with turnout is a possible breeding ground for it as it is a fungus found in the dirt. The bleach does not hurt the skin but will kill the fungi and your horses hair will grow back.

allhorsestuff said...

Hi sweet thing!
Sorry for the R rot..my friends TB Conamara cross moved to NY last year..and he also has it for the firs time, an his back. Humidity. I have not had to deal with it, ever.

Well, you sound great...the work will pay off and you are going to show-YEA! Frankie...that handsome thing..can't wait C!
Good to hear of your tidings~
KK

prashant said...

The bleach does not hurt the skin but will kill the fungi and your horses hair will grow back.
Contextual Ad Network India

twhlady said...

Yeah I have two OTTB's and they get it quite frequently. The bleach works great doesnt hurt the skin and the hair grows back.