Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A few of my favorite books...

Not long ago my pony cousin Pony Girl did a post about books she had found while thrift shopping. It got me to thinking if I still had my copy of Black Beauty so I went looking. Indeed! I do have it, it is not as old as her copy but it is an oldie and still in good shape.






I have several other old horsey books as well. I am a junk collector ya know.
This one has a plain faded orange cover which makes me think it must have had a cover page at one time. It is titled Golden Lady and written by Eleanor Brown.
My copy is dated 1946. It has some lovely little illustrations throughout the book.




The opening page is written like this "In memory of my mother, a gallant woman"
Who couldn't read a book with an opening like that. Here is the title page.









And one of the illustrations of the book







But true to my cowgirl spirit is my all time favorite book, Smoky The Cow horse.
Ever read it? You should. It is true cowboy western tradition complete with a great ending. It is written by Will James and my copy is a beautiful aged blue and it great shape. My copy was published in 1926. Check this out.








Here are some of the illustrations in the book.









What are some of your favorite horse books?

3 comments:

Dusty Devoe said...

What great books. I wish I could say I had just one, but I don't. I will have to go on a search and try to find one!

Pony Girl said...

That is so cool you still have your old copy, thanks for sharing! :) I do not think I have read Smokey the Cowhorse! I will have to try to track down a copy. I just love old books!

jill said...

I have that exact version of black Beauty. The binding is shot cus i read it so much!